Can you replace my bath with a shower or wet room?
Absolutely. If your accessibility needs are a priority, then a wet room or a walk-in shower provide the perfect alternative to your existing bath. However, you might have questions about how to convert a tub to a walk-in shower. So here we’re going to answer any queries you may have so you can make a fully informed decision before you buy.
Pros and cons of replacing a bath with a shower
Before we get started on the ins and outs of how to remove a bath and replace it with a shower, we’ll begin by looking at the pros and cons of installing a new mobility bathroom. And you might find that there are quite a few surprising benefits when you replace a bath with a walk-in shower:
Pros of walk-in showers
- A walk-in shower makes it much easier for anyone with mobility issues to bathe safely.
- The inconvenience and difficulty of getting in and out of a traditional bathtub is removed.
- Walk-in showers come with a range of different safety features, including folding or integrated seats - such as our Restore Shower - so you can still sit down to wash.
- Showers are more cost and energy efficient than baths because they use far less water.
- If you have a carer helping you bathe, a bath can be awkward and messy. A walk-in shower with a half-height door eliminates that problem by giving a carer full access while allowing them to stay dry. Our Inspire Shower is the perfect example.
- Taking a shower is less time consuming. There’s no waiting for the bath to fill: simply turn on the water and walk in.
- Showers are better for your skin than baths as they expose the body to less water and are therefore less likely to dry your skin out.
Cons of walk-in showers
- You might miss long soaks in the bath at first, but you’re sure to quickly fall in love with the invigorating feeling of taking a shower.
- Some might think that replacing the bath with a shower can devalue your home, but in fact, more and more people are choosing only to shower and best of all that are suitable for everyone.
How to determine spacing and placement
Not convinced that a walk-in shower will fit in your bathroom? Here’s where you might be surprised: a lot of rectangular walk-in showers are actually designed to match a typical bath’s footprint.
Measuring your existing tub will show you how much space you have to work with, though many walk-in showers are designed to fit in the same footprint of a traditional bath.
Something else to bear in mind when you decide to replace a bath with a shower, in most baths, the plumbing is positioned all at one end. This might make it easier when it comes to deciding where to place and re-plumb your new shower, though if done by professionals this can often re-positioned quite easily.
Choose your shower enclosure
Now we’re getting to the fun part: choosing the look of your new walk-in shower. Shower enclosures, such as those offered by Premier Care in Bathing, come in a variety of attractive shapes, and are designed to deliver the ultimate in style as well as practicality.
Which you choose will depend on your personal preference, as well as the shape of your bathroom. For example, you might prefer a square or rectangular enclosure or you may find that an alcove or quadrant design better fits your room.
Choose your shower features
When you replace a bath with a shower you have plenty of possibilities for customisation. Choose what works for you and your needs.
Select safety features such as a folding seat, low level access tray, slip resistant surface and grab rails. It’s your shower and we want it to meet your individual mobility needs. Take a look at our Revive Shower to see just some of our features.
Full end-to-end design and installation
At Premier Care in Bathing, we’re only happy when you’re happy. We know exactly how to remove a bath and replace it with a shower and our friendly, professional team takes the time to find the very best option for you.
We provide an end-to-end solution for homeowners who want to convert their tub into a walk-in shower. From your no-obligation appointment to the design of your new shower, and from its installation to aftercare customer service, we’re with you every step of the way.
Register your interest online today and we’ll be delighted to send you a free (and accurate) quotation for your new bathroom.